Ever heard about Arroz con leche? Well, lets first enlighten the origin of this term. It’s a Mexican rice pudding made with milk and rice. Arroz means rice. It is believed that its existence came from moors who influenced Spanish cuisine. This dessert is light and sweet and is enjoyed in all parts of Spain and around the world. It’s a popular dessert but it’s mainly eaten in cold months of the year and it provides warmth and energy to your body. It can be served hot or cold as per your choice garnished and dusted with some cinnamon powder. It’s not the most nutritious dish you will find but it will keep you full and a good option for your sweet tooth cravings.
You can add your choice of dry-fruits in it that can plump up in your pudding and giving it a nice sweet and tangy touch to your taste-buds. You can adjust the sweet level as per your taste. It’s a perfect dessert for the occasions as well to serve to your guests. It’s a quick and easy dessert recipe and you can do your own variations.
Some people like to make it denser and rich with condensed milk and some keep it light with the fresh milk. Some add rum too! Yes, rum too, it sounds weird but tastes great.
Now let’s come to the section of how to make Arroz Con Leche. We have mentioned a complete easy Arroz Con Leche Recipe. Once you learn this, you can experiment it later on with your favorite ingredients.
For Arroz con leche all you need is 4 basic ingredients from your kitchen. Most of them will be available in your kitchen cabinets. Long grain rice, milk, heavy cream, and cinnamon.
PREP TIME: 2 minutes COOK TIME: 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour SERVINGS: 6-8 people
Arroz Con Leche Ingredients
• 1 cup long grain rice
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 4 cups of milk
• 1 cup of sugar
• 1 cup heavy cream
Arroz Con Leche Recipe
- Rinse the rice thoroughly under the running water.
- Soak them for about 10-15minutes
- In a wide pot, pour the milk and let it boil with the cinnamon sticks
- Add the rice and cook in on low flame and let the rice cook in it for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar in it and cover it, keep stirring in between so the rice doesn’t stick to the sides.
- Now remove the lid and turn the flame to medium-high and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Or until it reaches to your desired thickness.
- Turn off the flame and add the heavy cream
- Give it a gentle mix.
- Do not make it too thick, it will get denser as soon as it gets cold.
- Garnish it with your favorite toppings.
- Arroz con leche can be served hot or even you can refrigerate for 2 hours and then serve chilled.
Arroz con leche is 60% carb, 15% protein and 5% fat. Half a cup of Arroz con leche is around 250 calories. It might not be the healthiest dessert but it will make feel you up and your dessert cravings.