Good call for all vegan people and vegetarian lovers. Let us share with you the most common and favorite and the most famous street food of the middle east. FALAFEL SANDWICHES!
This Falafel sandwich is a healthier version to munch on. Falafel is made up of chickpeas, the main ingredient, which is rich in fibre mixed with different herbs and fried or baked as per your choice. It is served with tangy sauces to beat your appetite. When wrapped in a sandwich, a drizzle of your favourite kind of toppings, colourful fresh vegetables are a wholesome meal itself.
Let’s begin with the recipe, the ingredients for yummy falafel sandwich fillings are:
- Chickpeas (soaked overnight) 2 cups.
- Ground cumin 1tsp.
- Fresh coriander or parsley a handful
- Cayenne powder 1 tsp.
- Salt (as per taste)
- Garlic cloves 3-4
- Green chili 2-3 roughly chopped
- Baking powder 1/4tsp.
- Tahini sauce or garlic mayo or salsa sauce
- Pita bread or tortilla wraps
- Fresh vegetables of your choice
- Oil for frying
- Sesame seeds 3-4 tbsp.
- Soak the chickpeas (Garbanzo seeds) overnight in Luke warm water.
- Wash and rinse them early morning
- Add the chickpeas to the food processor, add salt, cumin, cayenne powder, green chilies, fresh coriander, garlic and grind until well combined.
- Keep the mixture in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or you can keep it overnight as well for more best results
- Add the sesame seeds and a baking soda in it and form small balls or patties.
- You can either fry or bake it
- For frying heat oil in a pan, add the patties and fry them until golden brown.
- For baking, heat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Grease the parchment paper with olive oil, place the patties and spray it with some olive oil
- Bake it for around 10-15mins turning them over midway, until the golden crisp color comes on them
- To yield the best results, we will suggest you fry the falafel.
- Place 2 to 3 falafel patties in the pita bread or freshly baked tortillas
- Top it up with your favorite kind of sauces
- For an authentic taste, use tahini sauce or you may replace it with garlic mayo or fresh salsa sauce
- Garnish it with seasoned favorite vegetables, cilantro bell peppers, finely chopped onion, cabbage (season them with salt and black pepper)
- Wrap and serve in a garnishing tray
- Do not use canned chickpeas, they will not give you the desired results
- Soak them overnight for best results
- Do not fry falafel at very high-temperature oil
- Place them on a tissue so that extra oil is absorbed by kitchen tissues
- you can serve falafel on its own as well
- Bake the healthy falafel wraps and can have it with Greek yogurt as well.
- You can either fold or wrap it or cut the pita bread from inside and serve them as an open sandwich too.
Falafel sandwich recipe is also variation for the diet conscious people.